Capsule Wardrobes: University Style

By Ava Killbourn 

As we go into the third week of Nothing New November, I want to talk about capsule wardrobes. The typical capsule wardrobe usually consists of fifty pieces or less, sometimes rotated out in smaller units with the change of the seasons. These are usually multiuse, monotone pieces that can be mixed and matched with ease for a variety of events. But a quick search for capsule wardrobes yields a slew of articles with suggestions that are more befitting a 30-year-old professional than a 20-year-old university student.

Source: Harper's Bazaar
For a long time, the idea of having a pared-down wardrobe seemed incompatible with my individuality. I consider myself a maximalist, and, when I get dressed in the morning, I aim for an outfit that will express some facet of my identity and mood. If you prefer textured coats, loose jeans, and printed tops to black blazers and crisp lines, how do you maintain a fifty-ish piece wardrobe while still expressing a more colorful, casual style?

In my own experience, I've found that the most important step in curating a smaller wardrobe is to resist the urge to buy for buying’s sake. Waiting for something you love and are willing to take up space for keeps your collection smaller and more personal than buying a multiplicity of items you only semi-like. For me, this means resisting the urge to buy the latest trend until I am sure it is something that is compatible with other items in my wardrobe and will be just as exciting to wear in a year as it is in the moment. If I’m not going to want it then, there is no reason to spend money and space on it now. Even if you can’t get your wardrobe down to capsule size, being a conscientious buyer will limit the amount of fashion waste you are producing.

My favorite vintage deer sweatshirt styled
on my flatmate, demonstrating how different
colors & prints can be matched together
When you do buy, embrace the unusual and exciting as well as you consider how much of the clothing you already own may match. Having a range of colors and textures allows for combinations that are more visually interesting. I, for example, have a couple of favourite trousers that range in color, texture, and design. If you have three pairs of the same style blue jeans in your dresser, why not choose your favorite, clear out the rest, and open up limited space in your wardrobe to different options? If you want another black top, try a different sleeve type or neckline to make even the most basic items a little more interesting. Variety is key to keeping your closet small but fun. If the pieces you decide to incorporate into your wardrobe have their own uniqueness and character, they can be styled to create quite a wide variety of outfits.

I have found that the best rule of thumb is simply to have an awareness of what makes you happiest and most comfortable. For me, this means embracing pullovers and blouses with funky designs and colors that are also looser, softer, and more accommodating. If a top is just a little too tight or a little too itchy, what are the chances that it's going to become a well-worn part of your collection? I know I will wear a top less if its material annoys me, the neck is too tight, or I have to keep adjusting it throughout the day. Be honest with yourself about what you will wear. Push your boundaries on design and color, not on comfort.

My favourite pair of overalls
Curating a capsule wardrobe is also an opportunity for you to practice your own creativity. Less and more unique items push you to put together combinations you might not have considered. When you have less space, you can curate your style with more thought and make your wardrobe a more refined expression of self.

My bonus suggestion for the next piece to invest in? Dungarees. They go with literally anything, provide maximum comfort and will make you look like a highly stylized farmgirl. I own five pairs and have never regretted a cent.

Happy curating!

Comments

Popular Posts