Designer Feature- Alissa Yoon

Meet Alissa Yoon, founder of crochet brand SOOREE and one of the designers contributing to the upcoming Sustainable Style Charity Gala, a new event featuring an exhibition and auction of sustainable, student-made fashion, accessories, and art.

Pink ribbon bag 
Introduce yourself; name, age, year in uni, degree path, a few interests.

My name is Alissa Yoon. I am 21 years old and a fourth-year philosophy student. My interests include fashion, photography, and all things food & drink!

Tell me a little bit about your pieces; what they are, why you made them and how they reflect your personal style?

For my auction submissions, I wanted to experiment with various patterns, materials, and stitches to make crocheted bags. My work does not necessarily reflect my personal style, but rather my thoughts, as most of my creations are physical translations of my inner visions. Crocheting for me has always been a stabilizer during mentally rocky times, which is a core element of my brand's initiative of supporting mental health efforts.

Why did you decide to submit your pieces to the Charity Gala?

I submitted to the Charity Gala because I wanted to help raise funds for Fashion Revolution, a charity dedicated to holding the fashion industry accountable for its harm to the Earth.

Two bags available for auction

What does sustainability mean to you and how is that reflected in your pieces?

Sustainability, for me, is being conscious about your purchases and becoming knowledgeable about where they may end up after use. My new experimental collection reflects a sense of sustainability, as I did not limit myself to my usual yarn of choice, t-shirt fabric yarn, but instead went beyond that scope and included materials I found around the house like ribbon.

Thank you to Alissa for sharing her words and submitting her work to the Gala. Don't miss your chance to see her pieces in person on March 9th and possibly take one home with you. Tickets out now!

Comments

Popular Posts