For the Love of Clothing Swaps!

 by Alex Herrtage


Hand-me-Downs and Trend Cycles


When I first volunteered myself to write a blog post for my beloved society Sustainable Style, I soon realised that I really just wanted to talk Clothing Swaps. Both those run by our society in little St Andrews, but also outside of the bubble. This might read as a shameless plug for the Clothing Swap Events (which I live for – I’m Alex “Clothing Swap Head” Herrtage), and it absolutely is, but really, I’d just like to express my deep love and respect for the simple swapping of clothes.



I’d hazard a guess that the readers of this blog have a second hand item in their closets. If that item came from a Sustainable Style Clothing Swap then I adore you, but if that item was handed down to you, or once belonged to a friend who passed it on, then that’s just as good! The value of hand-me-downs was something I grossly underappreciated in my youth. I would turn my nose up at my mother’s old jumpers, which I now sneak into my suitcase on visits home. Maybe it’s a shared lived experience? It can be easy to resent the handing down of clothes in a world, not to mention a town, where fashion is so key to self-expression. Fashion trends cycle so quickly, it’s sometimes a challenge to fit them without buying new. Plus, with the soaring prices of trendy curated vintage shops, even efforts in second-hand fashion don’t come cheap. 





Swapping Culture

 

My advice, as I’m sure you can already guess, is to turn to clothes swapping. Now, I cannot promise you that swapping your clothes with friends, or strangers, will guarantee you exact items of the ‘vintage, coquette, bella-swan-core, emo chic’ aesthetic you were going for, but isn’t it worth a shot? Choosing second hand options encourages creativity, and the premise of clothing SWAPS allow you to clear your closet in favour of ‘new’ items. 

 

It's difficult to pinpoint when clothing swaps became a popular way to acquire a fresh wardrobe. The premise has existed as a swapping culture, based out of living rooms, maybe forever. Now in our age with a growing emphasis on slow fashion and eco-consciousness, clothing swaps and the concept of choosing second-hand are becoming increasingly more widespread and favoured in the media. 








The benefits!

 

In addition to giving your unused clothes another shot at being adopted, clothing swaps save you money- what’s not to love about that! In our capitalist hellscape it’s rare, and dare I say radical, to find the opportunity to swap, rather than shop. 

 

I’ve found that hosting swaps starts with a focus on the venue and the clothes, but quickly becomes centered around the community. Regular swappers come back every time, armed with their own Ikea bags and enthusiasm. Newcomers pop in and express their delight, always asking when the next one will be. As an organiser, and sometimes a customer, it’s a huge joy to see people’s eyes widen when they spot something they love. 






It is about the clothes, and the environment, but really, it’s about people and the future. It’s about returning to tradition in handing down clothes, caring for your pieces, expressing your style, and having the freedom to do so whilst helping others do the same. Perhaps I’m wasting my time gushing to this audience about clothing swaps, but if I can motivate just one person to attend a clothing swap or host their own, then I’m happy.



Comments

Popular Posts